Gracing the entrance of the sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church, just east of Town Park Towers, is a rather large bell. Why is it there? The bell has been part of First Church since 1869, when our congregation was still housed in its first building. The bell was cast in the foundry of William T. Garrett in San Francisco and weighs 1,780 pounds.
Back in those days, the women of the church, held suppers, socials and fairs to pay the cost of the bell … $1,068.75!
During all of those years the bell was only heard by human ears, and only seen by the pigeons, birds, and bats that frequented the belfry. In building churches today, steeples and belfries are cost prohibitive and considered a luxury. We are proud to display this glorious link to our past at the entrance of our “new” sanctuary, where everyone can see it! We enjoy its beautiful resonance on special occasions.