FRONT DOOR Communities- Lunch Bag Program
A Miracle on 4th Street save the date November 8 2018 Flyer
Reminder Parking is Free
Help hungry individuals coming to our Front Door.
Front Door Communities is a mission of the First Presbyterian Church and is comprised of our morning Bag Lunch Program and our afternoon Women’s Drop- In Program, known as Lifted Spirits.
In the late 2000s our church began a Front Door program to pack and give away lunches to whomever came asking for food. Today we give out approximately 600 lunches each week- last year we gave out over 30,000 lunches to those in need.
We are very fortunate to have devoted volunteers who come weekly or when needed to serve our “outdoor friends”.
In October, 2014, as part of our Front Door Communities, we started a Women’s Drop-in Center now known as “Lifted Spirits” in our church to give up to 30 homeless women respite from the streets three afternoons a week. With the bag lunch program we have been blessed by financial, food, toiletries and lunch bag donations from many other Presbyterian churches, several Methodist churches and members of the community in support of the bag lunch ministry. Several churches use their “Fifth Sunday” service days to pack bag lunches for our program.
We welcome help in supplying these lunch bags to hungry people! Each lunch costs about $3.00 to produce and church members and friends could either contribute money or make/pack up completed lunches or even purchase some of the component parts for these bags:
- Tuna, chicken, or ham salad with cracker packages (come individually in tuna section of store; usually are $1 but can be $1.29 or more)
• OR- small cans of Vienna sausages (Smart and Final, Costco and other places) $.50 can or less in bulk
• BIG boxes of cookies or crackers we can make into smaller snack bag sizes
• Applesauce or fruit cups in individual containers (available everywhere in packs of 6 or 8 small cases of 8 packs)
• Cereal/power/snack bars (come individually or in boxes of 8-12) (Please– nothing crunchy or sticky/gooey as many of our folks have dental issues)
• Snack packages of cookies or crackers
• Boxes of raisins (come in groups of 6 or 8)
• Peanut butter or cheese and cracker packages (come in packages of 8—12)
• Cases of bottled water or real juice boxes.
• Plastic spoons and napkins
• Extra large lunch bags (size 8) (Smart and Final) (about $10.00 for 500)
• Boxes of plastic zip lock type sandwich bags
Good stores to get these items cheaply include:
- Smart & Final
• Grocery Outlet
• Dollar Tree/Dollar Store
If you have questions or would like to volunteer or donate to Front Door Communities you can call Karleen at (408) 600-6654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about Front Door Communities please visit their web page http://www.fdcsj.org.
Karleen Duchscherer, Interim Director, Lifted Spirits and Manger, Front Door Communities
Martha Beattie, Mission Elder, at email@example.com